Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Black Swan - Chapter by Chapter Reviews

Once a year I try to use this blog site for a chapter by chapter review of a book I'm reading, one that has some signifigant impact or high level of interest for me.

Will I do every chapter, probably not, I lose interest quickly if the book drones on, so initial chapters will have better reviews. If you've read the book, or want to read it, follow and comment or even disagree with me.


The Black Swan, The Impact of the Highly Improbable.


Author: Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Prologue thought for the day - "everyone knows that you need more prevention than treatment, but few reward acts of prevention." So ... should one goal be to give notice those that prevent. How?

"I don't particularly care about the usual." This is a strong statement indeed by the author. I guess I would say I agree, the usual the normal doesn't really help you understand someone, or a place, or a company, or a plan. The unusual, the unpredictable, the reaction to pressure ... that's got a lot more to do with understanding. I think I agree. But, how does a person set about to understand the unpredictable or the unusual?

"We lack imagination, and repress it in others" Yowee, that's big, that's powerful stuff.

We need more imagination, we need more innovation ... calling all Tom Peters followers ... It's high time we realized that imagination may be our greatest asset in a time of unusual and impossible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wall Street was dedicated to the principle that when it came to playing the markets there was such a thing as expertise, that skill and insight mattered in investing just as skill and insight mattered in surgery and golf and flying fighter jets.

daltonsbriefs said...

Steve, Or Fake Steve

Wall Street and Big Business and even my own small businesses all want markets to act more "mature" and "controlled" ... But alas markets don't. Markets and people and communities are impulsive and crazed.