Friday, June 27, 2008

Just how close is Israel to striking Iran?

"The Economist reports that Israel is not bluffing in its recent intimations of possible military strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities" (article Israel's not bluffing on Iran nuclear strikes)

When I was quite young I tended to follow Israeli issues closely, I think my mom kept putting it there and forcing me to think about it. Israel matters, a bunch. When I reached young adult though I started to go like many "progressives" and started to really favor the popular "can't Israel just learn to get along" theory. They are somewhat socialized and haven't been nearly as free with civil rights.

Finally I have grown in mid-life to a point of realizing that Israel is the only functioning democracy in the Middle East. They are a very important ally, and they are under constant attack from the terror that we've really only seen a couple times in the last four decades.

If Israel has strong indications that Iran has nukes, then I would agree they will probably strike Iran preemptively. The Economist seems to be against preemption, but that's no surprise since they tend to be a little more "progressive."

No comments: