Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Popcorn Drunks

So the anti-Costas people are siding with drunks and tavern owners who break the law?
Good ... maybe they could side with attorneys for child molesters next?

Read the Times' article on what actually happened Saturday night.

So what's the rumor on the street? That the Butterfield nuts are siding with 700 drunks who screamed expletives at police and excise officers. "#$%$ Costas" i think was the favorite shout of the night.

I remember Jon once saying "we don't want to administrate the city if we have to dip to that level" keep up the good work Jon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up that article, so we could see what really happened.

To me, the question should be "what do we want the popcorn fest to be about?".

Last Sat. was only my second time at the fest, the previous time being nine years ago. These two were not the same festival at all. Is it suposed to be about popcorn, handicrafts, music, or a beer bash?

If its a beer bash, lets have one or two "filling stations" and one main stage area for rock/blues bands. Why have all the bar doors open, people roaming everywhere with giant cups, and then act like its a family craft fest?

If it is about crafts and popcorn, then forget the rock and beer. People can go into one of the many restaurants if they want a drink. If you want music, have some low key folk or barbershop music.

If its about music, which I think would be best of all, why have all those stages full of mediocre talent? When I went through, there were no fewer than 5 bands playing at one time--I think there were even six! Valpo is getting big enough, and the fest has enough drawing power (whatever its format) that we could attract some really good music. We could have two stages, one for local talent, and one for national/regional acts. And pick a style that people would actually want to listen to, not just drink to.

But what am I saying? The fest probably isn't about having a good time at all. Maybe its all about money. If thats the case, why should I expect anything really good from it?

adam