Friday, April 25, 2008

Do we even care about Darfur

Updated: Aegis Trust Seeks Help In Sudan Via Facebook And Google Maps

300,000 possibly dead in Darfur from Prayeramedic this morning got me thinking about Sudan and the inhuman atrocities going on in Darfur.

I told Dan that I was in Sudan a couple years ago and frankly the Sudan is really two countries. The north fully infiltrated by jihadists with the ablity to sink into Ethiopian style chaos. The south, with the oil, the old Coptic Christian animists, likely also to descend further into chaos.

In the great middle, filled with militias from multiple countries then is Darfur. Training ground for Chadian rebels and both sets of Sudanse militias. No one is "official" and all get money from governments surrounding the area.

Some things we should be doing:

First, pray for the Sudanese
Second, invest in refugee retraining and capitalization to return to their homes and open businesses.
Third, get extremely involved in helping Chad and Ethiopian and Kenya prod along possible democracy and freedoms to encircle the bad zones with freedom and opportunity.

Just my thoughts, from a layman's perspective. Thoughts?

Other posts about Sudan:
Full War could explode along Chad-Sudan border
So at least Bin Laden tells the truth

2 comments:

NWI Connect said...

I didn't realize you have so many blogs! It took me awhile, but I found this! I check blogs and news via Mozilla Thunderbird so I can save surfing time these days, so I added this to my subscriptions and added a link to my blogroll for others to find "Dalton's Briefs." I totally agree with you. It's great to hear someone who is likeminded on this. I wrote to President Bush about this (and of course got a template letter back), but atleast I wrote. As you said, we need to keep praying!

NWI Connect said...

P.S. I linked to this post in a comment on my Darfur post, hopefully it'll encourage those who read my post to check out yours!