Sunday, April 27, 2008

How can people be starving still?

After news reports that Sam's Club and other grocers are limiting the amount of rice purchases this week, and of course the general upward trends of food stuff commodities ... we hear that even more people are starving in parts of the world.

Why? How can this be?

Tyler Cowen features his own article Freer trade could fill the world's rice bowl which ran in full length in the New York Times.

Here is the most interesting paragraph: (his quote, but I agree)

"The reality is that many of today’s commodity shortages, including that for oil, occur because ever more production and trade take place in relatively inefficient and inflexible countries. We’re accustomed to the response times of Silicon Valley, but when it comes to commodities production, many of the relevant institutions abroad have only one foot in the modern age. In other words, the world’s commodities table is very far from flat."
So, how exactly does a country or a farm belt return to free market roots? Should we unilaterally eliminate all farm subsidies and then go to the free market table with one less hypocricy in our back pocket? Should we stop paying gas stations to sell ethanol, since it's probably not cleaner and the market needs to pay for what it gets?

3 comments:

NWI Connect said...

"We must understand that high oil prices are not the result of an unregulated free market. On the contrary, the oil industry is among the most regulated and most subsidized of U.S. industries. Perhaps we need to ask ourselves whether too much government involvement in the oil markets, rather than too little regulation, has kept the supply of refined gasoline artificially low."
-Ron Paul

daltonsbriefs said...

Dan, although normally I find Ron Paul to be a bit crazy, I would agree with this statement.

My worry, if I may digress, with Paulistas is that they have wasted so much effort on Paul's candiacy and have lost sight of the need to make sure heir chosen leader can be elected.

In my opinion he can't ... But his ideas like those of so many "loyal opposition" types are good prods

NWI Connect said...

I concur, I do support him, however. I believe in what he stands for, but I don't think he stands a chance. However, I didn't jump on the bandwagon when he began running for office, I've been a Ron Paul fan for a couple years, from when I first saw him on an Aaron Russo documentary about the unconstitutional tyranny behind the IRS and income tax program, as well as explaining the Federal Reserve Bank and what happened in 1913 when we lost our authority to mint our own money.