Monday, August 11, 2008

More thoughts on Georgian mini-war

I've been researching, reading, and commenting over the weekend on the actions taken by both Georgia and Russia starting Friday morning during the Olympics Opening Ceremonies.

First, there is no easy side to choose for America. Our ally is being attacked, but doing any more than applying pressure sure won't be a good thing for oil or our security. The Russians believe they are supporting the South Ossetian minority in Georgia, an ethnic group with a lot more ties to Russia than Georgia.

But ... would we be all that excited if Texas wanted to leave our union because they became more Mexican? Of course not.

What to do?

Chris Hedges reported today that Russia has also launched a cyberattack on Georgia.

Kevin Tracy suggests that Georgia isn't clean handed

My own research over the weekend on Georgia and South Ossetia

3 comments:

NWI Connect said...

But don't forget that CNN is also misleading the public: Russian Cameraman: CNN Aired Misleading Footage. The cameraman points out that CNN completely referred to a different city than the one being named in the report.

daltonsbriefs said...

Thanks for commenting Dan, you hit me with the link before I even saw the news feed on that story. There is no doubt that both sides were up to no good the night of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

But I can't drag myself to trust Russia.

DR said...

I completely agree with this thought provoking post. I think most people had a knee-jerk reaction. This was a hard one because as you point out Georgia is an ally, but Russia also had a legitimate reason for responding. For once I was glad I was not President and didn't have to make this decision.